I wasn't really sure what to expect from this film. I never saw a trailer for it, and the posters just featured Rachel McAdams on an island, covered in blood. Then I learned it is directed by Sam Raimi, who has done some truly great, original films (“Darkman”, The “Evil Dead” movies), but has also signed on for some Marvel Comics movies, so I had no idea which Sam Raimi would be showing up here. Turns out, “Send Help” is old-school Raimi – original, hilarious, in-your-face horror-comedy with a very sly sense of humor.
Rachel McAdams plays Linda Liddle, a nerdy office drone who is truly great at her job, but gets passed over for a promotion in favor of her boss's incompetent frat-buddy. Linda doesn't let it get her down. She talks to her pet bird, puts her nose to the grindstone, and vows to work even harder to earn her place. Then the company plane goes down, leaving Linda and said boss (Dylan O'Brien) as the only survivors on a tropical island. One other thing about Linda: she has aspirations to be on the show “Survivor.” Turns out she has made herself an expert on desert island survival. Even as she saves his life, though, her boss Bradley has trouble giving Linda the credit she deserves. The longer they are stranded, the more friction arises.
I won't give away any more than that. “Send Help” is full of surprises that I don't want to ruin. Raimi gets outstanding performances from both his stars, and McAdams ought to get an Oscar nomination. “Send Help” is funny, oddly-dark, and the best new movie I've seen so far this year.
4.5 stars out of 5


No comments:
Post a Comment