Friday, July 22, 2022

Happy Gilmore (1996) *

 


Netflix has dumped a trove of Adam Sandler films onto its server, with “dump” being the operative word. I've never been a fan of the Sandler oeuvre. His films don't offend me with their violence or foulness; I just don't find them funny. And yet, in the midst of his dumpster fire of a filmography, there is 1998's “The Wedding Singer,” a goofy, funny comedy-with-a-heart. I love that movie so much that I keep giving Sandler a chance. I somehow got the impression that “Happy Gilmore” might be a classic comedy, more along the lines of “The Wedding Singer” than “The Waterboy,” so I gave it a chance. It did not take me long to regret it.


Sandler plays the title character, a frustrated hockey player with fighting skills and a mean slap shot, who can't skate worth a damn. Finding an old set of golf clubs gives Happy a new opportunity in life, as it turns out he can drive a golf ball 400 yards. His swing is unorthodox, and he cannot putt, but that drive might win him enough money to save his grandmother's house.


Does it? I don't know, because I turned this piece of crap off after about 20 minutes. “Happy Gilmore” is boring and stupid. The film lacks the wit to even be so dumb that it's funny. It is just dumb!


1 star out of 5

No comments: